Monday, May 16, 2011

Long Run 101

This weekend was the peak for training for my next marathon.  I ran five miles three days during the week and 10 miles Saturday and 20 miles Sunday.  What exactly constitutes a "long" run is somewhat a matter of debate, but for the sake of simplicity, I'll define it as any run over 10 miles.  The long run is the key to any successful marathon training program, and most programs will peak with a long run ~20 miles 2-4 weeks before the race, then taper until the race.

I think some of the keys to a good long run are:
1. Try not to do too much the day before.  Stay off your feet as much as possible.
2. Drink a lot of water the day and night before.
3. Eat well.  High carb meals which are easy to digest.  Pasta is the obvious choice.
4. Get up early.  You can avoid the heat of the day, and there is nothing quite like seeing the sunrise on a cool, calm morning.
5. Don't overdress.  You should feel a little chilly at rest before the run.  Also, dress in layers that can be easily shed as the temperatures rise.
6. Pace.  Your pace should be 30-60 seconds per mile slower than your goal race pace.
7. Hydrate.  I generally take enough water or gatorade to be able to consume ~6 oz every 15-25 minutes.
8. Gels.  I will consume an energy gel approximately every 45 minutes during a long run.  GU is my favorite
9. IPOD.  You're favorite music can pick you up when you are feeling sluggish.  Lately, I have been listening to audiobooks.  Perfect for long, slow runs.
10. Group runs.  I usually train alone for the simple fact that nobody I know is training for the same thing at the same time, but running with a friend or a group is a great way to make the time fly by and catch up with an old friend or make new ones.
11. Recover.  A topic for another post, but you should drink plenty of water the rest of the day and recover with carbs and protein soon after your run.

No comments:

Post a Comment