Thursday, July 28, 2011

Boot Camp, Wk 1

This is the first week of my boot camp.  It's being led by Steve at Good Life Fitness.  I have always resisted  doing these things.  After all, I'm a marathon runner.  I'm supposed to be in great shape.  The problem is it's easy to get stuck in a rut, and that's where I found myself.  After a positive referral from a fellow runner at the office, I decided to give it a shot.

All I have to say is.....OMG!!!  The first day I couldn't really even lift my arms above my head to wash my hair and I'm embarrassed to say, but I needed help getting my dress shirt on!  The focus on cardio, plyometrics, and core strengthening has been outstanding.

I've been doing some speed work, too, so I decided to compare a speed work out with an hour at boot camp.  I did a hard interval workout in the middle of the day, 90 degrees plus.  My maximum heart rate was less during this workout than it was during a boot camp workout at 5AM.

As runners we are sometimes guilty of focusing too much on running and neglecting other activities.  Cross training can make you a better runner, if done properly.  I expect boot camp to make me a leaner, stronger, faster runner.  I'm not there yet, but I am happy to say that after one week I am now washing my own hair and dressing myself again.

Thanks, Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment