Monday, August 13, 2012

Half the Distance, All the Fun

This weekend I ran the inaugural SeaWheeze Lululemon 1/2 Marathon in Vancouver, British Columbia.  The half is an unusual distance for me.  This was only the third half marathon that I have run.

The race was put on by Lululemon, a company that makes high end (over-priced) mostly women's athletic gear.  The retailer is based in Vancouver and the race was meant to highlight their products.  The expo wasn't so much an expo as a Black Friday of sorts where the company debuted a bunch of their new stuff.  It was an absolute mad house.  It was far too commercial for my taste.  Nobody seemed to care about the actual race.  The important thing was to look good, I guess.

The actual race was very good.  There were a little more than 7,000 runners.  I was one of about 1,000 men running the race.  I have full marathon coming up in a few weeks, so I needed to do my long 20 mile run this weekend.  Before the race, I went for an easy 7 mile jog and met the rest of my travel party at the starting line.  The course took you through various parts of Vancouver, which is an absolutely gorgeous city.  I wanted to run in under 2 hours and met my goal, clocking a 1:56:26.  The half is a great summer race to judge your training, fitness, and pace for the fall marathon season.  I am right on track.

Although I didn't make it to the post-race brunch, those who did said it was the best they had ever seen at a race, with crispy waffles, quiche, and fresh fruit.

My wife ran the race, too.  She loved it and is seen in this picture which appears on the company website (pink shirt, hands up!)




No comments:

Post a Comment