Saturday, December 29, 2012

Year in Review

2012 was my most ambitious year.  I finished eight marathons, including my first "double" running back to back marathons on Saturday/Sunday.  It would have been nine if the NYC Marathon hadn't been cancelled by hurricane Sandy.

Everywhere you look somebody has a "Best Of 2012" list, so I thought I would do my own.  So, here is my "Best of 2012 Marathons."

Fastest Marathon--I use this term pretty loosely, but my fastest marathon was the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan that I completed in 4:21:05.

Best Family Trip--This title also goes to Bayshore.  It was a Memorial Day weekend trip, and we stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge.  Awesome place to stay with kids.

Biggest Medal--By far, the Little Rock Marathon.

Best Post Race Party--Little Rock had a great disco themed post race party.

Best Aid Station--They guy at the Salt Lake City Marathon who set up a soft-serve ice cream station.  On a hot day when I wasn't feeling great, this was a nice pick-me-up.

Most Laid Back--Tupelo Marathon.  This was right around the time that tropical storms were hitting the Southeast.  On the webpage before the race, the race director said, "In the event of rain, we will get wet.  In the event of a lot of rain, we will get really wet."  No surprise that the shirt for this race was tie-dyed.

Most Over-Rated--Phoenix Rock and Roll Marathon.  The RNR series races just don't do it for me.

Toughest Conditions--Newport, RI Marathon.  Hilly, very windy, blowing sand, and the second leg of my Double Weekend.

Biggest Disappointment--Obviously, the NYC Marathon being cancelled.

Coolest Thing--Seeing thousands of runners descend on Central Park on race day to run a marathon anyway, most honoring charity commitments and thousands more helping those devastated by the storm.

Most Fun--The Lululemon 1/2 Marathon in Vancouver that I ran with my wife and a bunch of friends from Lincoln.

Biggest Surprise--Returning from the 1/2 Marathon in Vancouver and finding out that we will be having a baby girl in 2013!!




No comments:

Post a Comment