Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day

Many, if not most, dads spend father's day golfing or glued to the TV watching the US Open.  Me?  I usually run.  Today was no different, with an easy 8 mile run, my longest run since my double marathon 2 weeks ago, and my longest run until I do a 3rd marathon next weekend in Alaska.

As I draw to a close on my 50 state goal, I am feeling a lot of mixed emotions.  I am extremely proud to have stayed committed to such an ambitious goal for such a long time.  I am also a little sad that this journey, which has been such a huge part of my life for so long, will soon be coming to an end.

Since my first marathon in 1998, a lot has happened.  I graduated from medical school and started residency.  I married the love of my life.  I joined a great practice at NOASM.  I became a dad.  It is this last title that perhaps most defines and inspires me.  The chance to see and experience the world through your children's innocent eyes and the chance to inspire the next generation.

One of the consequences of my journey to 50 that I am most proud of is the effect it's had on my kids.  To them, it is totally normal to have a half dozen pairs of running shoes laying around the house.  It's totally normal to see dad wearing sweaty running clothes, having just returned from a run, when they wake up in the morning.  It's totally normal to have shoe boxes full of racing bibs and medals.

When I started running, I did it just for me and to a large extent, that is still true.  It makes me the best me I can be.  Now though, more than ever, I do it for my family.  I do it so I can live the longest and happiest life I can with them.  I do it so I can inspire them, as much as they have inspired me.


No comments:

Post a Comment