Thursday, September 25, 2014

#2--Dallas White Rock Marathon

Dallas, TX
December 5, 1999
3:41:06

I spent a year doing research between my second and third years of medical school.  I worked in a lab in Dallas, TX.  I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot (mostly that I didn't want to do research for a living--too slow).  I was still running 4-5 days a week, mostly for fitness and fun.  I joined the Cross Country Club of Dallas.  The Club was very active and sponsored races nearly every weekend.  I had nothing better to do, so I ran most of them.  I wasn't focusing on it, but I got a LOT faster.  One of my recommendations if you are trying to run a faster marathon is to compete in as many road races as you can.  You'll be doing speed work and not even realize it.  You almost can't help but get faster.

After Chicago, I really didn't think I'd ever do another marathon.  I had done it, right?  What's the point?  Well, the thought occurred to me, I wonder if I could break 4 hours?  With all the road races I was doing I was running sub 9 minute miles easily and my IT band issues seemed to be behind me.  I signed up for the local marathon, the Dallas White Rock Marathon.

Race day was very cool for Dallas, but ideal conditions for a marathon.  The course included a loop around White Rock Lake, my favorite training spot in town, so I felt like I had the home court advantage.  My pace was quick, and for the first 17 miles I was on pace for a 3:30 marathon!  Then, out of nowhere at mile 17, sharp pain on the outside part of my knee.  I knew exactly what it was--IT band syndrome again!

I didn't stop or even walk.  I just endured 9 miles of sharp, intense pain.  I finished in 3:41:06.  I was a little disappointed that I had to slow down, but mostly I was overwhelmed with a feeling of satisfaction.  I couldn't possibly have run even one second faster that day.  I gave it my all and was totally spent.

I really enjoyed both of the marathons I did and was proud of the accomplishments.  Unfortunately, it seemed that my old nemesis (IT band syndrome) would prevent me from doing any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment