Thursday, November 20, 2014

What I Learned Running a Marathon in 50 States

  1. Sweat cleans places a shower will never reach (Thanks Dr. Sheehan).
  2. There is probably no better feeling than doing your absolute best at something.
  3. It’s ok to walk during a race.  You probably aren’t going to win anyway.
  4. You run much faster with a friend or group of friends.
  5. One of the most peaceful things is a long run on a cold, dark morning.
  6. Stretching is important.
  7. Baby Joggers are awesome.
  8. Babies are awesome.
  9. Food is fuel, and the best kind is clean burning, whole foods, mostly plants.
  10. If you have to run in the street, always run against traffic.
  11. Work out in the morning.  There is no better time.
  12. I always get my best ideas when I run.
  13. There is nothing better than a hot shower after a long run on a cold day.  Unless… (see #14).
  14. Bloody nipples hurt.  A lot.
  15. In marathons, like life, there are no shortcuts.
  16. I can give tasting notes on the various flavors of “GU.”
  17. I am absolutely convinced that anybody can run a marathon if he or she wants to.
  18. Running 50 marathons is probably a little nuts.
  19. Running hundreds of marathons is really nuts.
  20. Running is play.  Running is natural.  Watch your kids and see how much they run. 
  21. Running is not hard on your joints.  Being overweight and out of shape is hard on your joints.
  22. Running is my religion.
  23. There is no best shoe.
  24. Most people don’t need orthotics.
  25. There is no better way to lose weight and get in shape than running.
  26. Running, not laughter, is the best medicine.
  27. Running AND laughing?  Even better.
  28. Say “thank you” to the volunteers at races.
  29. High Five the kids at races.
  30. I’ve never regretted going for a run.
  31. After the first 90 seconds of unbearable pain, an ice bath helps a ton after a hard workout.
  32. When you have been moved to tears during a marathon, you get it.
  33. Love and a love of running will be the greatest gifts that I give my children.
  34. Expensive running socks are worth it.
  35. Most runners take themselves way too seriously.
  36. Most people take themselves way too seriously.
  37. Be grateful for what you have.
  38. Be grateful if you can run. 
  39. Take toilet paper with you on long runs.  Trust me, and don’t ask why.
  40. You are capable of doing much more than you think you are.
  41. Fig Newtons are awesome.
  42. A 20 mile run is not a good time to plan your wedding.
  43. NOT running sucks.
  44. Great things are never achieved alone.
  45. I work hard, but I have been incredibly lucky.
  46. I have the best wife and kids in the world.
  47. Running has made me happier and healthier than I would be without it.
  48. Running a marathon in every state has been a blast.  It really has.
  49. I’m ready for a break.
  50. 26.2 miles is a long way.  Every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment