Monday, August 31, 2015

One Year. One Goal. One Hundred Miles. Leadville 2016.

Last weekend was the Leadville 100, a one hundred mile ultra-marathon in Leadville, Colorado. More than 600 runners began, and a little over 300 finished in under the 30 hour limit.   Next year I plan to be one of them.

I have been fascinated by the race for years.  I thought that I would be one of the 600 entrants last week, but the timing just wasn't right.  My last marathon was the Las Vegas Marathon last November.  It was my 23rd marathon in less than 3 years.  I, and my family, too, needed a break.

However, I have not been able to shake the Leadville bug.  The time off has really allowed me to consider why I want to do it so badly.   Running, and running a long distance, brings me inner peace and calm, and makes me happy.  But why must it be 100 miles?  Even I know that seems crazy.

The real reason to do something as ambitious as this, isn't so much to achieve the goal, but to become the type of person who could achieve the goal.  I know that in order to be one of the 300 or so finishers at Leadville, I will have to become the best version of myself that I have ever been.  Absolutely determined, disciplined, and focused.

One year.  One goal.  One hundred miles.  Leadville 2016!


No comments:

Post a Comment