Friday, September 8, 2023

The Big Weekend is Finally Here (Not the Colorado game.....)

Back in December I set a goal of running a 50 mile trail race on September 9th, the weekend before I turn 50 years old.  At the time, it seemed so far away.  That weekend is finally here. I've trained for and ran over 50 marathons, but this has been different.  For starters, I am 25 years older than when I ran my first marathon!  The weekly mileage is certainly a step up from marathon training, but not as much as you might think.  I had a couple of  50 mile weeks, but most weeks were 20-40 miles.  It's about all a busy surgeon and family man could manage.  I also did a lot of swimming and biking while I trained for a triathlon earlier this summer.  I think the cross training helped keep me healthy physically and the variety was a nice mental break, as well.  

Despite the cross training, I dealt with a series of running related issues while training.  I've had chronic plantar fasciitis, hallux rigidus, a Morton's neuroma, a calf strain, and a hip issue that I never did diagnose.  My hip got better with a little bit of rest.  I healed my calf strain with PT, a temporary brace, and yoga.  My foot issues got a lot better when I went to a slightly wider shoe and went up 1/2 size from what I used to wear.  

I am not sure I could ever be as prepared as I would like to be for a race that will take 12-15 hours to complete.  I wish I had a few more long runs.  I should have done some more hills.  I wish I was a few pounds lighter.  Still, I am ready.  Since I started training in January, I've logged over 830 miles. I ran my fastest half marathon in years.  I've run  in torrential downpours and extreme heat.  I've run in the wee hours of the morning.  I have explored nearly every inch of Wilderness Park between Van Dorn and Saltillo.  I've done two races of 6 hours or more.  I am ready.  Hawk 50 mile trail race, here I come.

https://www.hawkhundred.com

No comments:

Post a Comment