Wednesday, March 28, 2012

#15--Albany Snickers Marathon

Albany, Georgia
March 1, 2008
3:56:53

This was the first time I attempted to run marathons close together.  I ran in Tampa 3 weeks prior to this one.  I found that the timing was just about perfect.  I took about a week off after Tampa, and then just settled into my usual taper.

Albany was within driving distance from Tampa, where I was doing my fellowship.  I got off work on Friday and was able to make it in time for packet pick up.  I thought it was kind of funny that a candy bar was the official sponsor.  That's one way to carbo load, I guess.  The marathon was on Saturday.  I was in the best shape I had been in for a while.  I was nursing a calf strain, but nothing too severe.  I put a tight ACE wrap on it and I was good to go.

I was trying for 4 hours on this one.  I started out running a little bit under the pace I needed to maintain. I decided to try an unusual strategy.  Most experts suggest maintaining a steady pace or trying for "negative splits."  I reasoned that if I could run as many miles as possible just under my needed mile split times, that I could hold on at the end.

The strategy worked well.  I probably ran the first 16 or 17 miles an average of 15 seconds or so per mile faster than I needed to.  My pace slowed to goal pace for a few miles and somewhat slower for a few miles after that.  I had built a cushion and was able to coast to a sub 4 hour time.  I was really pleased, because I hadn't run a sub 4 hr marathon since medical school.  I could have probably run a little faster, but the course was pretty hilly.

I was happy with my time.  I went back to the hotel and hopped in an ice bath for 20 minutes.  After a quick shower, I was on the road back to Tampa, with #15 in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment