Sunday, May 27, 2012

#34--Bayshore Marathon

Traverse City, Michigan
May 26, 2012
4:21:05

This was my last spring marathon of 2012, and probably the best of the four I've done in 2012. I had planned to run it last year and even had a hotel and airfare booked, only to have to cancel these plans when I missed registration. Advice--it is probably best to actually sign up for a race before making travel arrangements.

Traverse City is a popular tourist destination in Northern Michigan. It was pretty easy to get to with a short connecting flight from Chicago. Bayshore is a small marathon limited to a couple thousand runners. The course is a simple out and back along the shores of the East Grand Traverse Bay. It was mostly flat with a few rolling hills. Weather was perfect--calm, overcast, and cool.

I felt really good during the race, holding a steady 10 minute per mile pace. I ran the second half a minute faster than the first, which is a rarity for me. I've been doing "boot camp" again for a couple weeks, and I credit that for my improved strength and ability to maintain pace over 26 miles.

If you are looking for a small destination marathon in a beautiful part of the country, look no further than Bayshore. Hurry though, this small race fills up fast when registration opens in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment