Monday, July 16, 2012

The Power of Habit

If you live in Lincoln, you know that a portion of South Street was closed for about 10 months.  During this time, I had to take a detour to and from work each day.  It took an extra 5 minutes each way.  I figured that over a 10 month period, I spent almost 2000 extra minutes in traffic.  South Street was opened last week, and you would think that it would be easy to settle back into the more direct route.  It is shorter, faster, and more convenient. 

I was surprised to find myself taking the detour route out of habit on several occasions.  Why, when a simpler, better route is available, do I still want to take a detour that I hate?

The answer is the power of habit.  Our challenge is to use this power to avoid doing things that are harmful, like smoking and over-eating and to do more of the things that will make us healthy and happy, like eating right and exercising.

I am listening to two audiobooks on the power of habit now, and you should see these themes in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment