Saturday, September 8, 2012

Reverse Taper

I am frequently asked how I train for multiple marathons.  It is quite simple, really.  The key is not to overtrain.  Most marathoners are familiar with tapering.  This occurs 3-4 weeks before the race and consists of a gradual decrease in mileage and intensity.  Weekly runs taper from 5 to 4 to 3.  Weekend long runs taper from a peak of 20 to 12 to 8.

With my next challenge 6 weeks from the Tupelo Marathon last weekend, I began what I call a "reverse taper" this week.  My weekday runs start at an easy 2-3 miles and next week will increase to 3 and 4 and then 4 and 5 the week after that.  My long run this weekend is 8.  Next week will be 12, and then 20 after that.  From there, I will begin the familiar process of tapering again.  The "reverse taper" allows my body to recover from the last marathon while getting ready to peak for the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment