Sunday, September 23, 2012

Seeing Double

In three weeks I will attempt my first "Double-Marathon," running a marathon in Hartford, CT on Saturday and Newport, RI on Sunday.

In order to train for the rigors of two marathons on consecutive days, I have been doing two long runs on the weekends.  In keeping with my reverse taper philosophy, the week after the Tupelo Marathon I ran 8 miles Saturday and 8 miles Sunday.  Last weekend I ran 12 and 12.  This weekend my training for the Double peaked.  I ran 20 miles Saturday and 20 miles Sunday.   Ouch!

I carbo loaded the night before each run, and made sure to eat good recovery food right away after each run.  I ate whole grain cereal, greek yogurt, and bananas.  I've previously posted on the benefits of wearing compression socks during and after long runs.  I did both.  My legs felt a little fresher during and after the runs, so I think it helped.  I took full doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen after each run to minimize the soreness and inflammation I felt.  

After doing my double 20 this weekend, I feel very good about the prospects for the New England Double in 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment