Friday, October 5, 2012

#20--Columbus Marathon

Columbus, OH

October 18, 2009
4:30:06

With the Huskers traveling to Columbus this weekend to take on THE Ohio State University Buckeyes, I thought it would be a good time to post about the Columbus Marathon I ran a few years ago.

My wife's sister lives in Columbus.  We stayed several days with her and her husband, Dave, who owns a huge demolition company in Columbus.  He has literally helped to tear down and build the city into what it is today.  He took us on an insider's guided tour of the city.  I was surprised by Columbus.  It is much bigger and nicer than I thought.

We stayed in Columbus for a few days leading up to and after the marathon.  Dave has one of the best wine collections I have ever seen anywhere, with a bar and cellar inspired by his favorite place in Belgium.  I know now that this is NOT a great way to prepare for a 26.2 mile run.  Let's just say I have felt better at the start of most marathons than I did for this one.

The race started early in the morning in downtown Columbus.  The day was cool and clear.  The course winds through downtown Columbus and takes you through the expansive OSU campus and many of the monuments and landmarks of this thriving midwestern city.  

I ran this race a month after North Dakota and I was slowed by foot and ankle tendonitis on my left side.  This and the effects of way too much Belgian beer and Napa Valley Pinot made Columbus one of the more difficult races I have done.  Despite these "obstacles" I came in just over 4.5 hrs.

The weekend I was in Columbus, Ohio State was on the road at Purdue, and suffered a rare defeat.  Here's hoping the Buckeyes have a similar fate this weekend when the Huskers visit the famous horseshoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment