Monday, October 29, 2012

#22--Louisville Marathon

Louisville, KY
April 24, 2010
4:38:25

This was the last marathon I drove to.  My cutoff for a reasonable distance to drive was 10-12 hours.  By now, I had pretty much run every other state within driving distance.  My wife and I were now raising a 3 month old and we both thought it would be best if I did this one solo.  It was a Saturday race.  I got up early Friday morning and hit the road.  I made it to Louisville in time to pick up my packet and hit the expo and pre-race pasta party.  Even though driving isn't physical at all, I am always tired after a long drive so I turned in early.

The course was rather hilly, as I recall, and the weather was pretty warm and muggy for an early spring marathon.  The course went through the parks and neighborhoods of this southern city.  The highlight was definitely running through the famous Churchill Downs, where the Kentucky Derby is run.  Although we didn't actually get to run on the track, we ran through the grounds and infield.  The course briefly takes a turn into nearby Indiana before returning to finish in downtown Louisville.  

I finished in a now pretty customary ~4:40.  I grabbed my stuff from the hotel and hopped back in my car.  I was tired but wanted to get home and see my family.  I stopped off at a Wendy's to get something to eat.  When I tried to start my car in the parking lot I couldn't find my keys.  I was so tired I must have inadvertently threw them away along with my fast food trash!  I rifled through the trash can inside the restaurant, looking like some kind of lunatic, until I found my keys.  

I hit the road again.  I drove through a spring thunderstorm and was only able to make it to St. Joseph, Missouri before I was just too tired to drive any more.  I found a cheap hotel on the side of the interstate, got a few hours of sleep, and left early the next day.  I was home right after sunrise to meet my son and equally sleep deprived wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment