Thursday, August 8, 2013

Summer "Reading"

I don't get much time to read for pleasure.  My long runs, however, do allow me the opportunity to listen to audiobooks.

I recently finished "Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself" by Rich Roll.  Roll was a former collegiate swimmer and recovering alcoholic who, nearing his 40th birthday, found himself unable to climb a flight of stairs without getting short of breath.  He worried that he wouldn't be around to see his 2 year old daughter get married.  What followed was a remarkable transformation that saw Roll become one of the greatest ultra-athletes in the world.  Among his many accomplishments was completing an iron distance triathlon on 5 different Hawaiian islands in just under 7 days.

Roll gets deeply personal about the struggles he has had over the years and how he has overcome them.  He shares training and nutrition advice.  He credits most of his success to his adoption of a plant-based diet.  Although I don't think I'm ready to make that leap just yet, Roll delivers a compelling argument for doing so.


No comments:

Post a Comment