Monday, August 1, 2016

My First Ultra

This weekend I completed my first "ultra-marathon."  I ran a 50K in Kenosha, Wisconsin on Saturday, the Hot Hilly Hairy Ultra Solo & Relay.  It was a great ultra for a first timer.  The 50K was one of many races that day.  There were solo races ranging from 10K-85K and many teams competed in a 100 mile relay.  It was a fun, festive atmosphere.

The course was run on a cross country course at the University of Wisconsin Parkside.  The course was a fairly easy 5K, with 50K runners finishing 10 laps.  Temperatures were thankfully mild in the mid 70s.  There were two aid stations on the course, and a place where runners could place their own gear and aid.  It was a perfect set up for a solo ultra. I did not have to carry any aid.  I could drink at the aid stations and after each lap I snacked on my own food (bagel w/ peanut butter, bananas, and oranges).

I liked the set up.  I especially liked that the distance was broken down into manageable segments.  Rather that saying to myself, "I have to run 50 kilometers this morning" I only had to run 10 laps!  This kind of mental trick can be very helpful.

I had no goal time.  My only goals were to make it back to Milwaukee in time to catch my flight home, and to finish.  In the end, my finishing time was 6 hours, 36 minutes, and 15 seconds.  My finishing time put me in the top 1/2 of 50K solo runners.  It would have been faster but halfway through I had to go move my rental car so it wouldn't get towed away!  In the dark pre-race hours, I guess I parked illegally!

Competitors in the ultra distance received a hand made crown and a shirt that said, "I slayed the dragon."  The event had kind of a medieval theme.  All in all, it was fun experience.  50K is the longest I have ever run.  Next up is a 50 mile trail run in September.








No comments:

Post a Comment