Sunday, June 18, 2023

I WAS RUNNING THE WRONG RACE

Yesterday I competed in the Dizzy Goat 6 hour trail run in Omaha.  This marked my longest run in several years and was a significant step towards my goal of a 50 mile trail run the weekend before I turn 50.

As I completed my 8th 3 mile loop, I wondered how I got here.  After all, at track and field day in grade school, I always chose the shortest run possible, and I always got last in every race.  I was so slow and such an awkward runner that my mom took me to the doctor because she thought something was wrong with me.  I always thought running just wasn't my sport.

Through long distance running, I discovered that anybody could be a runner.  You don't have to be fast or athletic, although it certainly helps.  And endurance trail running in particular is an inclusive sport where runners of all types, shapes, sizes, and abilities are welcome and celebrated.  

All those years ago, when I thought I wasn't a.runner, I actually was, I just didn't know it.  I was simply running the wrong race.





No comments:

Post a Comment