Sunday, June 25, 2023

MY EXPERIENCE WITH YOGA

I first tried yoga over the lunch hour during my first or second year of medical school.  I didn't know much about it, but I thought it might be a good way to reduce stress, which I desperately needed then.  I struggled through the poses and decided that yoga wasn't for me.

A few years ago, I gave it another shot.  Lincoln Yoga Center was a few blocks from my house and they offered a free introductory class.  I enjoyed it and began going somewhat regularly.  COVID-19 interrupted my new yoga practice.  Yoga via Zoom just wasn't for me.  Many others felt the same and the studio was forced to relocate.

Two years ago I fell down some stairs and broke my ribs.  I couldn't run or do much of anything.  I decided that I would give yoga another try.  Although I had to modify some poses, I was surprised how much I was able to do, even while nursing a very painful injury.  I went as often as I could, because I couldn't do much else.  I think yoga actually helped my ribs heal faster.  Thus, I got back into the routine of a somewhat regular yoga practice.

Now, I try to go once a week.  It helps with my original goal of reducing and managing stress. I've also become stronger and more flexible, both on and off the yoga mat. If you are looking to reduce stress, become more mindful, improve strength, balance & flexibility, give yoga a try.  There are lots of yoga videos online, but even better, give your local yoga studio a try.  

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment