Friday, August 26, 2011

#7--Stockholm Marathon

June 8, 2002. 3:52:05

My grandfather emigrated from Sweden in the early 20th century.  As a medical school graduation gift to myself, I wanted to visit my "homeland."  I spent two weeks in Sweden, with one week in the capitol, Stockholm.  Sweden is a clean, efficient, friendly, and beautiful country.  I met many relatives and made some new friends.  Of course, I had to squeeze in a marathon during the trip!

The Stockholm Marathon is considered by many to be one of the 10 best marathons in the world.  I would have to agree.  The scenery is breathtaking and the weather is usually mild.  The course included two loops through this great city.  The highlight was finishing in Stockholm's Olympic Stadium, site of the 1912 Olympic Games.  More world records have been set in this stadium than any other in the world.  I didn't set any records this day, but I did improve my time from Boston by quite a bit, finishing under four hours.

I am often asked which is my favorite marathon of all time.  I don't really have a favorite, but if pressed, would have to say Stockholm.

No comments:

Post a Comment