Sunday, December 4, 2011

Winter Running Gear, Vol. I: Traction

This weekend marked the first snowfall of the season in Lincoln.  The elements really test the dedicated runner in Nebraska.  We deal with heat and humidity in the summer, and cold and ice in the winter.  In the summer I posted my tips for summer running.  During the next few weeks I'll share some things I've learned that should enable you to continue to train through the challenging winter months, and have fun doing it.

As an orthopaedic surgeon, the first snowfall means one thing--falls and broken bones (technically two things, I guess).  I've been very lucky and have never suffered a serious injury from a fall on the ice.  I've had some embarrassing moments and a hard time sitting down for a while, but nothing that kept me on the sidelines for any length of time.

One of the very best things I've discovered are Yaktrax.  They are lightweight metal coils around rubber that can be strapped to the bottom of your shoes.  They provide excellent traction on even the most slippery terrain.  I highly recommend them.  I've included a link to the company website.  You can probably find them at your local running store.  As always, I encourage you to shop at your local running store (Lincoln Running Company here in Lincoln).

For those who prefer a "do-it-yourself" option, try putting metal screws in the bottom of your shoes.  I've included a link explaining how.


http://www.yaktrax.com/pro
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment