Wednesday, September 14, 2011

#8--Lincoln Marathon

May 4, 2003. 4:21:54

I found it very difficult to train during my intern year.  There are now work hour regulations that limit the hours that residents can work, but these hadn't gone into effect yet.  100 hr work weeks were fairly common on surgery rotations.  Needless to say, my fitness had to take a back seat to patient care.

Things slowed down some in the spring and I was able to resume training.  By now my peers knew that I ran marathons, and a couple of fellow residents, Dave and A.J., were interested in training with me.  They were both good athletes, but novice distance runners.  I really enjoyed "coaching" them and sharing what I had learned.  We had hectic schedules, but were able to get together for long runs on Sundays.  I had never really run with a group before, so it was a nice change of pace.

Race day was rainy and cool.  I didn't know it at the time of course, but at one point I ran right by the house I live in now.  Lincoln is a great 1/2 marathon, but the crowds and enthusiasm fall off quite a bit once the half is over.  My friends and I ran together until the last couple miles.  Dave got this unbelievable burst and pretty much sprinted the last three miles or so.  No wall for him.  He was hooked and has gone on to do more marathons and has even done at least one ultra.  A.J. told me to go ahead and kick the last few hundred yards without him.  Well, with about 5 yards to go he came screaming past me, not leaving me enough time to catch up.  I had been suckered.  There is a very funny picture with two slow pudgy guys leaning across the finish line.  I can't find it but will post it if I do.  A.J. bested me by one second.

It was nice to finish a race in my home state.  The most rewarding thing, however, was running with Dave and A.J. and helping them reach their goal.  I hope I've inspired more along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment