Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Running Gear, Vol. II

One of the most valuable tools for a serious runner is a GPS enabled watch.  Most of us are fairly detail oriented and want to try to stick to a plan.  We also love numbers and love gadgets.  If a particular program calls for a 5 mile run, most runners want to run 5 miles exactly.  Not more, not less.

A GPS enabled watch allows you to stick to your program, even if you are running a new route or even in a new town.  Some of the most memorable long training runs I've done have been when I've been out of town at a meeting or on vacation, turned the GPS on, and headed out the door.  My Garmin has taken me around Central Park, over the Golden Gate Bridge, and through cornfields in Western Nebraska.

In addition to distance and elapsed time, there are typically many features such as pace, laps, and splits, etc., all of which can enhance your training.  I know I've only scratched the surface of all the capabilities of my watch, the Garmin 310XT.  I think it's worth getting one with a heart rate monitor, too.

GPS enabled watches can be pricey, but I think they are worth it.  I almost feel naked running without mine now.

No comments:

Post a Comment