Friday, September 30, 2011

Travel Tips

Running a marathon in all 50 states means a lot of traveling.  To that end, there are some tips to make travel more enjoyable and economical.  Here are a few.

1. Use frequent flier miles-I have a credit card with travel rewards.  I accumulate miles each time I use it.  Since I began using it in 2006, I have earned 17 free flights.  Look for one with a low or no annual fee, with few restrictions on travel.  Some also offer companion tickets.

2. Economize on hotels-When I travel I rarely do more than just sleep in the hotel.  I don't need much, so I usually try to find the best deal.  Priceline.com is a great way to book a hotel.  You can choose the dates and location that you want, and "bid" on hotels in the area.  When I ran the Boston Marathon I stayed in a downtown hotel for $75/night for 5 nights.  Most rooms went for three or four times that amount.

3.  Yelp!  I love Yelp.  Before going out to eat or entertain in a new town I will always consult this website, which offers user generated reviews of bars, restaurants, & shopping.  I have never been let down by one of it's reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment