Sunday, November 20, 2011

Carry these on every run

I've done long training runs in every imaginable climate and setting.  In previous posts I've talked about proper dress, nutrition and hydration among other things for long runs.  In addition to these basic things that most of us remember without thinking, there are some other less obvious things that the well equipped runner should carry.

1. Identification.  You should always carry some form of ID along with an easy to find emergency contact.
2. Phone.  Increasingly small and powerful.  I've used mine to call home for a ride in 100 degree heat when I couldn't make it home.  I can also use my iPhone to keep in touch with my office, find a route w/ GPS, listen to music, and many other things.
3. Money.  You should think about carrying $10 or $20.  I can't tell you how many times I've finished a run and been told to get milk on my way home.
4. Tissue paper.  I found out this one the hard way with a very embarrassing incident in the pre-dawn hours in downtown Chicago involving an alley, the police, and a smelly but thankfully empty elevator ride back to my hotel room.
5. Protection.  This is very important for women.  Try not to run alone in dark or desolate places.  If you do, carry some form of protection.  You just never know.  Small personal canisters of pepper spray are highly portable and can be added to your key chain.

Let me know if you can think of other essentials to share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment