Friday, June 3, 2011

#1--Chicago Marathon

October 11, 1998.
4:23:59

My first marathon (& last without body glide!)  I had only been running for a year and a half.  I had done a few local 5Ks and the Bolder Boulder 10K up to this point, but I knew next to nothing about distance running.  I was amazed that people actually could run 26.2 miles.  It seemed almost super human to me at the time.  I researched marathons some more and discovered that if you were in reasonably good shape and had a "base mileage" of 15-20 miles/week, the marathon was within your grasp.  With enough time and training (4 months on average) you can go from running 3-5 miles per day to completing the marathon.

I've always enjoyed testing myself and this seemed like the ultimate test.  I was a second year medical student at the time.  I would often have to run at 5 in the morning or 11 at night, but I don't think I missed a single training run.  The marathon consumed me.  In my limited free time, I read everything I could about running.  I've mentioned Hal Higdon's programs before.  His weekly novice program became my bible.  

Chicago was a great choice for a first marathon.  It's truly one of the great cities of the world, and was cheap and easy for a med student with limited time and money to get to.  I stayed with a friend from college who couldn't understand why the guy who used to go to Leavenworth Cafe every night after the bars closed was now running marathons.

Marathon day was perfect.  Mid 50's, sunny.  Chicago is a flat, fast, well organized and supported race.  My running had always been hampered by IT Band Syndrome, and this race was no different.  I held back for the first half of the race, running very cautiously.  If you've suffered from IT band syndrome, you know that the pain can come on very suddenly, and can bring your run to a screeching halt.  By mile 11, however, the endorphins started to kick in, my pace quickened, and my knee pain melted with the miles.

My time was slow, 4:23:59, but I finished.  That was my only goal.  I was sure I would never run another marathon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment