Thursday, June 9, 2011

Barefoot Running

This is something I get asked about ALL the time.  Throughout human history most running was done barefoot or at least done in shoes with very little support compared to what we see today.  Even today, billions of people in many parts of the world still wear sandals or go barefoot, much as our ancient ancestors did.  So, which is the right way?  The answer is not so simple.  People who run barefoot do so in a way that is very different than people who wear cushioned, supportive shoes.  Simply, barefoot runners tend to be mid and forefoot strikers, while shod runners tend to be heel strikers.  In general, barefoot running probably does cause less "shock" to the body.

The problem is when somebody goes from one extreme to the other too quickly.  I recently saw a guy in clinic who was training for the Lincoln Marathon.  He trained for months in cushioned shoes without any problem, but 2 weeks before the race switched to a minimalist, barefoot style shoe.  Needless to say, he ended up in my clinic for a host of foot aches and pains.

If you are going to switch to barefoot running, you need to do so gradually, because your form will change completely.  Your body is very adaptive, but it needs time.  Remember, the Tarahumara of Born to Run fame have spent their entire existence on the planet running long distances in sandals.

Moreover, I think you need to have a good reason to switch.  I am very curious about barefoot running and I've heard all the propaganda, and a lot of it makes sound scientific sense.  I haven't done it because I really haven't needed to.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I've run thousands and thousands of miles relatively pain and injury free, so I can't see a good reason to switch.  On the other hand, if your running is constantly hampered by nagging injuries, barefoot or minimalist shoe running may be something to consider.

There is a great article in the New York Times about this.  I've included the link.  Special thanks to Eric and Melanie for sending it to me.


http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/08/are-we-built-to-run-barefoot/

No comments:

Post a Comment