Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Post Marathon Blues

This is week 2 of recovery from the Vermont City Marathon.  I ran a 10K last weekend, have a 3K this weekend, and will start my first "Boot Camp" in 2 weeks.  I've kept busy and avoided the post marathon let down.

I was very well prepared for my first marathon.  I had trained intensively for the race, and there were no surprises or challenges that I wasn't up for.  I broke through the wall at mile 20 without any problem.  The one thing I wasn't prepared for was the feeling afterwards.  I was very proud of my accomplishment, but I felt like something was missing.  You spend 18 weeks training for something and obsessing over every detail and then one day, poof, it's gone.  I wasn't prepared for the void that was present after the first marathon.

I've never really read about this phenomenon anywhere, but it makes sense I suppose.  There are many ways to deal with it.  If you know you are going to be running another race, sign up for it so you have another goal to work towards.  If not, change something up in your training.  Work more on strength and cross training, run a new course, or try running with a different group.  Your goal can also be to take some time off, spend time and do something special with your family.  They deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment