Monday, October 6, 2014

#13--Brookings Marathon

Brookings, South Dakota
May 12, 2007
4:53:13

This was my last marathon during residency.  I was set to graduate in a few months, and was very busy studying for boards, getting my license in Florida, and making plans to move and begin my post-graduate fellowship.  I wanted to do one more race before I left, and South Dakota was an easy choice.

Brookings is a very nice college town, and the thing that stood out to me most about this was the volunteers and how proud they were of their town and race.  Race conditions were perfect, and the course was nice, mostly running through the campus and the towns many parks.

I had been sick leading up to the race, and didn't run for the last 10 days or so leading up to it.  I carried a fanny pack full of cold medicine and inhalers.  I'm glad the medical director didn't see me, or he might have taken me off the course.

Needless to say, I didn't run a great race.  I finished in just under 5 hours.  I went back to the hotel, took an ice bath, and then hopped in my jeep and drove the 4 hours back to Omaha.  My wife was waiting for me there with a rake and a bunch of mulch.  Welcome home!  She was watching WAY too much HGTV then.

Here's a link to the race website.
http://www.brookingsmarathon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment