Sunday, October 19, 2014

#26--Maui Oceanfront Marathon

Maui, Hawaii
January 23, 2011
5:19:54

We have had a very mild late fall so far, but with weekend wind chill in the single digits in Lincoln, I found myself dreaming of a warmer place.  If you are going to dream about an escape from the numbing cold, Maui is as good as it gets.

My wife and I were married in Maui in 2004 and we had wanted to get back.  There are few options for winter marathons, so this seemed like a perfect time to go back.  I was not in good shape for this race and my training had been hampered by the cold and snow we were having in Lincoln.

Packet pick up was very small and there was no expo or anything. The race started at 5:30 AM in Wailea with a traditional Hawaiian prayer and dance.  The race was run on the side of a road (very bad for someone with IT band issues), sometimes with oncoming traffic.  There were spectacular views of the volcano Haleakala and the ocean (January is prime whale watching season in Hawaii).  It was hot and hilly, but when you are basically running on a volcano, you can't expect any different.

I walked quite a bit during this marathon and even took a shot of rum at mile 19.  The race ends in Old Lahaina, probably my favorite part of the island.  I immediately headed out into the ocean and soaked in the cold, salty Pacific Ocean.  

The course was hard and I was out of shape and jet lagged, but I finished.  I spent the next several days recovering and enjoying this island paradise.  I wish there were more states like Hawaii on my path to 50.  The best part of the trip was learning shortly after our return from Hawaii that we would be expecting another child.  I better get moving on this 50 marathon thing!!

http://www.mauioceanfrontmarathon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment