Saturday, October 11, 2014

#18--Madison Marathon

Madison, WI
May 24, 2009
3:58:25

The very first race I ever ran was the Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day in 1996.  Since then, Memorial Day weekend for me has usually included some type of road race.  The weekend of 2009 was no exception.  This was the weekend I ran the Madison Marathon in Madison Wisconsin.

My wife and I drove up and spent the weekend with our two dogs.  Although I had interviewed for residency there many years ago, this was my first real trip to Mad-Town.  The weekend was great.

The course carried you through the many different neighborhoods of this midwestern city, including, of course, the lakes and University.  I ran a strong race and finished under 4 hours.  In true Wisconsin style, runners at the finish area were offered string cheese, chocolate milk, and Miller Lite.  To top it off, the marathon co-incided with one of the world's largest bratwurst festivals.  I'm not sure if I added or subtracted to my overall life expectancy that day.

Although the marathon and mini-vacation that weekend were memorable, the best part was when we returned to Lincoln.  My wife, who had been trying to get pregnant for a while, informed me that we would soon be expecting our first child.  Our lives would never be the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment