Tuesday, October 7, 2014

#14--Gasparilla Distance Classic

Tampa, Florida
February 10, 2008
4:14:49

Gasparilla is Tampa's Mardis Gras.  It is a weeklong party and pirate festival.  There are a series of road races that are part of it, culminating in the marathon.  You can read about Gasparilla here if you wish. http://gasparillapiratefest.com/ 

I did my fellowship in Tampa, so this race was run in my new home town.  After getting settled into my fellowship, I decided it was time to take advantage of the South Florida winters and train for and run another marathon.

My wife and I ran this one together again.  It was by far her best marathon.  She had trained pretty well and could have run much faster.  My knee was bothering me some, and I knew that I had another marathon coming up in a few weeks, so I really didn't want to push it.  At one point, I urged her to run ahead of me, but she wouldn't.  Something to do with for better or worse, sickness and health, slow or fast, I guess.

The highlight of the race was seeing "Team Hoyt."  You might have heard of this father and son team.    If you have not, please check out their website at http://www.teamhoyt.com/.

All in all, it was a nice race.  An added benefit was finishing close to Tampa General Hospital, where I had patients to see after the race.  Now that was multi-tasking!

No comments:

Post a Comment