Friday, October 31, 2014

#37--Amica Newport Marathon

Newport, RI
October 14, 2012
4:51:07

This was one of the hardest things I have done.  I got a pretty good night's rest, but was still sore and tired at the start.  NOT a good way to start 26.2.  The race started along the coast.  It was very windy, with gusts of 30-40 mph blowing sand everywhere.  Thankfully the course quickly turned into the parks and residential neighborhoods of this beautiful, old, and very wealthy city giving us some break from the winds.  I don't think I have ever run by mansions and castles before.

I settled into a slow, comfortable pace.  My foot was hurting quite a bit.  A runner in front of me collapsed on the side of the road.  He was quickly tended to be several runners, a couple of nurses included.  I pitched in and we were able to determine that he was not in cardiac arrest and did not appear to be in any immediate danger.  Nevertheless, we called for an ambulance and insisted that he go to the ER.  Note--the very first thing to do in these cases is call for an emergency squad.  Also, everybody should take a course in basic life support (BLS).  Anyway, once we made sure he was ok and in the capable hands of EMS personnel, the few of us tending to him resumed our races.  I was energized by the whole experience and actually felt much better afterwards.

Fortunately, the wind was mostly at our backs for the first half.  At the half finish line, those running the full darted out of line and continued on the full course.  This part of the course was confusing and congested, and can be improved, I think.  It is also sort of cruel, watching most of the runners finish and getting on with their day.  Those of us running the full then headed into the more hilly second half of the course.  It was still very windy, but scenic.

I took extended walk breaks through the aid stations but maintained a pretty steady pace most of the race.  I saw several people wearing shirts from the race in Hartford the day before.  One estimate I heard was 70 people or so running the same double I was.  I am clearly not the only crazy person out there.

I finished in under 5 hours.  I really didn't have a goal for the weekend other than to finish both races, but I was pleased that I did both in under 5.  With no place to rest or shower, I hopped back in the rental car, covered in sweat and sand, and began the journey home.  The "journey" is still in progress, less than 24 hours later, with flight cancellations, delays, rental car "incidents" and a visit with the Windsor Locks, CT police department.  (Nothing bad, but I'll keep that one to myself!)

I know I can do a double weekend now.  I learned a lot in the process, and look forward to the challenge again.

No comments:

Post a Comment