Thursday, October 23, 2014

#29--American Discovery Trails Marathon

Colorado Springs, CO
September 5, 2011
5:00:49

This was the marathon to check Colorado off the list.  I've put it off to avoid hills and altitude.  Well, I had to do it sometime.  The ADT Marathon was a good choice because it was pretty easy to get to and not as challenging as some races in Colorado.  Although it was a trail marathon, it was not technical and had a net descent from 7000+ ft to around 6000.  With this altitude, one would expect a 5-10% slower time, and that's what I got.  I was very surprised to finish in 5 hrs, because I felt like I was in pretty good shape for this one.  The altitude was a factor, but the biggest thing was I didn't taper real well.  Overtraining=BAD IDEA.  My legs were pretty sore and tired from boot camp the week before.  Downhill races are very tough on your quads, and mine were jelly by the end of the race.

I posted a picture from the course at the bottom of the page.  The scenery was beautiful.  There were only about 400 marathoners and very few spectators, so there was a lot of time to run alone.  That's fine with me, but not real conducive to running a great time.

I was disappointed in my time, but glad I finished.  I didn't really have any other goal.  I viewed this race as a long training run for the big one in fall of 2011, the ING New York City Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment