Monday, October 20, 2014

#51--Mount Desert Island Marathon

Mount Desert Island, Maine
October 19, 2014
5:36:16

It is fitting that this marathon is posted right after the Maui marathon from a few years ago.  It reminded me in a lot of ways of Maui.  It was a tough marathon in a beautiful place.  It was run almost entirely along the side of roads (not closed to traffic--more on that later), and extremely hilly.  I was also, paradoxically over-trained and not in great shape.  A bad combination for what proved to be a very difficult marathon.

I was supposed to run in Portland, Maine two weeks ago, but due to flight problems from the Chicago air traffic control attack a few weeks ago, I was unable to make it.  Not only was it supposed to be my Maine marathon, but it was going to be our 10 year anniversary trip.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen.  Fortunately, I was still able to find a Maine marathon AND a New Mexico marathon before what is supposed to be my last state, Nevada, in November.  My wife, who has been incredibly supportive of my little hobby, held down the fort while I traveled to Mount Desert Island, Maine, for my "Maine Make-Up."

The Mount Desert Island (MDI) marathon was voted by Runner's World readers the most scenic marathon in the country.  The scenery didn't disappoint.  The marathon basically circles Acadia National Park.  It is also run in the shadows of Cadillac Mountain, the highest point along the North Atlantic seaboard.  It is no surprise then, that the marathon is SUPER HILLY.  I've run hilly races before, but this one literally offered no breaks.  It was either up hill, or down hill for 26.2 miles.  That's one thing, but to do it all along the side of road, while constantly looking out for on coming traffic, represented a unique challenge.   I have learned over the years that running along the side of a road, with a downward slope, is a recipe for all sorts of overuse injuries, with IT band syndrome one of the common ones.  It was a minor miracle that mine didn't flare up.  Thank goodness, or I might not have finished.  I think the fact that I was running in almost brand new shoes helped, because they hadn't worn out at all yet and were able to support me on the uneven terrain.  MDI is a small island with few roads, and it probably isn't practical to close any for several hours.  I knew this going in, and have done other races like it, but it is still annoying, not to mention unhealthy (exhaust) and potentially dangerous (driver or runner wandering too far to one side or the other).

Despite the short comings I've mentioned, the course was scenic, as advertised.  I've been fortunate enough to run on many beautiful courses, but this one is certainly at or near the top.  Mostly, I was disappointed that the trip didn't work out like I had planned, and I had to place the burden for watching our 3 rambunctious kids on my wife for the whole weekend.  I was extremely grateful, however, that despite having to sacrifice the Maine trip two weeks ago, I was able to scramble and still finish a Maine marathon on very short notice.  I was also comforted by the fact that the Super Hero Squad was watching out for things back home.  Thanks, Guys!!

**Black Widow and Baby Black Widow not pictured**



No comments:

Post a Comment